Saturday 5 January 2013

2013


2012 passed in a bit of blur and it was both a tremendous and disastrous year.

A quick summary of the year would be:
crap Norway trip > lots of running > Olympics and shifts > house buying > house DIY > got lazy > built a climbing wall > got lazier > broke wrist


The tremendous bits were:
·         I pulled off being a best-man and the speech, I am told, was okay
·         I ran 127.5 miles in one go
·         I actually enjoyed work for a change in the lead up to and during the Olympics
·         The Games were chuffing brilliant and I got into them even more than I expected despite not actually going there
·         We finally bought a house and it is bloody nice
·         I got half decent at DIY, decorated a house and built a pretty good climbing wall
·         The climbing wall has laid the foundations for future training
·         I got to liking whisky.


The disastrous bits were:
·         Norway was a big disappointment
·         The running>Games>house>DIY meant I did next to no climbing (no actual rock at all in fact)
·         I failed to finish my run
·         I seriously lost motivation to train and got weak and fat
·         Almost got it back and then fell off the bike
·         I got to liking whisky.

So on balance, I have to put it down as a very positive year even if it doesn’t feel like it sometimes (like when I look down at belly).  Buying a house trumps rock climbing, even I will admit that!  And there is no reason that I can’t rectify my sporting failings this year.

My official goals for the year were:
·         Diet – it went well for a while, then pretty badly. But I got into salads etc and cut of snacks before xmas happened so partly, but only partly, achieved.
·         Norway 20102 – well, we went there. Other than that, it was a bit of a fail.
·         Complete the Grand Union Canal Race – am impressive achievement though it is, running 127.5 miles of 145 is still a fail.
·         Climb Left Wall (E2 5c) – fail.
·         Redpoint a 7c – fail.
·         Save money – I did, then spent it on a house and now need to save again, except life is too expensive.  So part fail.
·         Move out – achieved!
·         New job – got to an interview, but failed.
(2012 doesn’t look so positive in light of that little lot)

In terms of this year, the goals are pretty similar:
·         Sort diet – Jan
·         Properly commit to and finish the Insanity Workout – Mar
·         Loose excess weight – Apr
·         Get aerobically fit – Apr
·         Get back into climbing and training – Apr
·         Climb Left Wall (E2 5c) – Aug
·         Redpoint a 7c – Dec
·         Amass some kind of savings – Dec
·         Get a new job – Dec

I'll also be setting some specific performance goals in terms of strength training and fitness, it'll be good to have something very quantifiable in addition to the above broader stuff.  Most of these are just a question of motivation. Like that makes it easy.  Bring the psyche!

I have also quite enjoyed keeping this blog, so will continue.  I am sure my many readers will be overjoyed at that news.

Moron 

No comments:

Post a Comment