Tuesday 10 June 2014

There is nothing like a faceplant to wake you up in the morning



I have a tendency to roll out of bed and onto my bike in the mornings – I am rarely full awake when I set off.  I grant you, that has changed somewhat since the LadyBabe’s arrival and her beaming smile does make me feel a bit more alive when I finally drag myself out of bed. But regardless, I am still not overly with it.  So it came as a bit of a shock when I found myself face down in the dirt at about 0804hrs this morning.

I cycle out to the road from the back of the house via the small woods, it must only be 200 yards.  I often have to stop and clear the crap out of my mudguards once I hit the road though, and have snapped a mudguard before when a twig lept up into it – the trials of wearing road mudguards off road, tiny clearances you see.  But today it must have been more log than twig.  I didn’t even have time to put my arms out (probably a good thing too, or hello broken collar bones) as my front wheel locked and I took flight.

I lay in a daze for a few minutes musing on the fact I was about ten feet from the road but all but invisible to passersby, before dragging my sorry ass up, checking for damage to the bike (amazingly no broken spokes despite the mudguard being wrapped round them) and checking my facial wounds (unimpressive despite the pain).  My helmet vents were packed with mud and when I cleared them I saw the cracks. 

This is the second helmet I have written off, escaping with little or no injury both times.  He says, as the whiplash begins to set in...

So, in short, always wear a helmet.

On the plus side, I can now replace my embarrassing Livestrong branded helmet.




No comments:

Post a Comment